Vegetable Orzo Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes6 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (24 ounces) garden-style spaghetti sauce
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen Italian vegetables
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 pound small red potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Saute pepper and onion in oil in a Dutch oven until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes and pasta are tender.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 254 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 841mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 8g fiber), 8g protein.
Dec 29, 2013
Excellent soup and so easy to make, I followed previous review and cooked potatoes in broth before starting recipe
Mar 24, 2013
I made this recipe after reading the reviews of the other two subscribers. My family and I really enjoyed this soup! The only substitution I made was navy beans instead of kidney or cannellini beans. The potatoes in the soup didn't fully cook all the way before the pasta was cooked and the soup started to thicken, so next time, I will cook the potatoes in the chicken broth to get them started. Over all excellent, hearty recipe. Will definitely make again!
Jan 22, 2013
This is a tasty, hearty soup for a cold winter day! Easy to put together too.
Jan 7, 2013
This was so easy and quick to make, but tasted like it had been cooking all day. It was wonderful. You could add sausage to it to make it more hardy, but it was quite filling as is.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.