Lemon Chicken with Orzo
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- Lemon wedges, optional
- In a shallow bowl, mix flour and garlic powder. Cut chicken into 1-1/2-in. pieces; pound each with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Dip both sides of chicken in flour mixture to coat lightly; shake off excess.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown and chicken is no longer pink. Remove from pan; keep warm. Wipe skillet clean.
- In same pan, bring broth to a boil; stir in orzo. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 8-10 minutes or until tender. Stir in spinach, tomatoes, lemon juice, basil and remaining salt; remove from heat. Return chicken to pan. If desired, serve with lemon wedges.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 399 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 807mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 9g fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Jun 29, 2018
This was pretty good but I thought it took way too long to make the chicken. My 8
Oct 5, 2017
This is easy, fast and light. A nice quick dinner on a busy weeknight.
Sep 18, 2017
I really enjoyed this. Would have been even better if I had fresh lemon wedges, but I'll be sure to include that next time :) Thanks for the recipe!
Aug 20, 2017
I made this for just my husband and I and it was a big hit! I did not add the basil only because I didn't have any but I doubled the lemon juice. I will definitely make again.
Apr 25, 2017
It was delicious! I'd add cloves of garlic for more flavor.
Apr 25, 2017
What a delicious recipe! I followed it exactly with the exception that I added more broth because mine seemed too dry. SO GOOD!
Apr 24, 2017
This is a great recipe. I originally saw it in a Taste of Home magazine andhave made it many times since. I follow the recipe exactly. We love it!
Jul 19, 2016
I was surprised at just how tasty this was. My husband asked where I got the recipe [and guessed Taste of home]. A keeper.
Jun 29, 2016
I made this for dinner tonight and my family loved it!! It was absolutely delicious!! :) This meal will definitely be a new favorite in our home.
Jun 24, 2016
I really hate it when people rate a recipe that they have completely changed but here I go.I used the basic recipe but changed the orzo to rice and the spinach to broccoli my own personal tastes. This was an easy and light recipe and I enjoyed it. Will most likely make again
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.