Lemon-Olive Chicken with Orzo
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1 pound)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 1/2 medium lemon, cut into 4 wedges
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown chicken on both sides; remove from pan.
- Add broth to skillet; increase heat to medium-high. Cook 1-2 minutes, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Return chicken to pan. Cook, covered, 5-8 minutes or until pasta is tender and a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 170°.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 345 calories, 17g fat (3g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 636mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 5g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 fat, 1 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 12, 2019
Very good flavor! Will make again.
Apr 16, 2018
A big YUM. Yes, you have to like Greek olives, but why make it if you don't? You could always leave them out.
Feb 16, 2018
This got a Thumbs UP rating from my husband. It had just the right amount of lemon, not bitter at all. Loved the black olives and oregano in it. I just had boneless skinless chicken breasts and they worked just fine. Will be making again.
Feb 11, 2018
This recipe was awful. It was very bitter. Would never make it again. It was a lucky night for our raccoons who will eat anything.
Feb 6, 2018
Not impressed. Tasted the olives way more than the lemons. I would use capers instead if I make this again.
Feb 5, 2018
I used chix breats & put a rub on them of sea salt & black pepper. Good.
Jun 7, 2017
Very tasty and easy meal to prepare. I used chicken thighs and legs with bones and left skin on. I just added some salt and pepper to the chicken pieces before browning. I did not change anything else and really liked the lemon flavor. Will make this again.
Feb 9, 2017
Very good dish but a little too lemony. Would definitely make again but I think I would either use half as many lemon wedges or leave them out entirely and increase the amount of juice.Tried to rate this four stars but was having a problem.
Dec 18, 2016
Although I cooked the orzo separately, this was an easy and tasty dish.
Dec 7, 2016
This is a great recipe and easily adaptable for tastes...too lemony, just add more stock. Not enough lemon flavor, just add some grated lemon zest to amp up the flavor. The bitter notes some people are noting might be from the stem end of the lemon. Make sure to slice off that bitter stem and rinse your lemons before cutting them up for simmering. You shouldn't get bitterness from this dish using these ingredients. I added a little crumbled feta cheese, fresh minced oregano and fresh minced parsley for serving.