Pressure-Cooker Mediterranean Chicken Orzo
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 min. + standing
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup sliced pitted green olives, drained
- 1 cup sliced pitted ripe olives, drained
- 1 large carrot, halved lengthwise and chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon herbes de Provence
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- In a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients; stir to combine. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 8 minutes. Quick-release pressure.
- Add orzo. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on low for 3 minutes. Allow pressure to naturally release for 4 minutes, then quick-release any remaining pressure. Let stand 8-10 minutes before serving.
Test Kitchen tips
Editor's NoteLook for herbes de Provence in the spice aisle.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 415 calories, 19g fat (5g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 941mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein.
May 27, 2019
I make this recipe all the time! It's so good and you can change up the spices. I've used Indian spices to make it taste completely different and give it an Indian flare. Or use Italian spices to make it taste like the recipe asks. It's a great dish and I've never had anyone over that disliked it. Add some bread to serve it with!
Mar 28, 2019
Really easy but a little bland so topped it off with feta. That was the perfect way to finish it off!
Feb 25, 2019
Very easy, very good. As suggested in another review, I put spinach in at the end - wonderful! Next time will add some shrimp and leave out the green olives just for kicks. It will be better when I can use garden tomatoes. Thanks for sharing!
Feb 9, 2019
I made this tonight and it was so easy and so good. I used green ripe olives in it, just wondering if I should have used Manzanilla olives instead. The only changes I would make when I make it again would be to add salt and pepper to the chicken and some lemon pepper to the broth. This was just wonderful on a cold night.
Jan 14, 2019
We really liked this recipe, but it required more time to absorb the liquid. I had to add three more minutes of pressure time after what the recipe stated, then another ten minutes of pressure release.
Feb 8, 2018
Awesome weeknight recipe. It was a hit with my Olive loving family. Super simple. Throw everything in the instant pot, kick up your feet. Very versatile. I added a half of a can of white beans. Next time, I may throw in spinach to make it a one pot meal.