Caribbean Chicken Stew
I lived with a West Indian family for awhile and enjoyed watching them cook. I lightened up this recipe by leaving out the oil and sugar, removing the skin from the chicken and using chicken sausage. It's just as good. —Joanne Iovino, Kings Park, New York
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating Cook: 6 hours
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 pounds), skin removed
- 1 pound fully cooked andouille chicken sausage links, sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- In a bowl, combine ketchup, garlic, sugar, pepper sauce and, if desired, browning sauce; stir in seasonings. Add chicken thighs, sausage and vegetables. Cover; refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Transfer chicken mixture to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 6-8 hours.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 309 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 666mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 35g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Jamaican Stew Chicken in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2014
Jul 28, 2015
I made this last night for dinner and paired it with baked plantains and yellow rice with black beans. It smelled so good the only issue I had the chicken came out dry. Not sure if that is normal or not. Taste was good.