Caribbean Chicken Stew
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating Cook: 6 hours
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 pounds), skin removed
- 1 pound fully cooked andouille chicken sausage links, sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- In a bowl, combine ketchup, garlic, sugar, pepper sauce and, if desired, browning sauce; stir in seasonings. Add chicken thighs, sausage and vegetables. Cover; refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Transfer chicken mixture to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 6-8 hours.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 309 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 666mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 35g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 28, 2015
I made this last night for dinner and paired it with baked plantains and yellow rice with black beans. It smelled so good the only issue I had the chicken came out dry. Not sure if that is normal or not. Taste was good.