Caribbean Chicken Stew
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating Cook: 6 hours
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 pounds), skin removed
- 1 pound fully cooked andouille chicken sausage links, sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine ketchup, garlic, sugar, pepper sauce and, if desired, browning sauce; stir in seasonings. Add chicken thighs, sausage and vegetables. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Transfer contents of bag to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 309 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 666mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 35g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Jul 28, 2015
I made this last night for dinner and paired it with baked plantains and yellow rice with black beans. It smelled so good the only issue I had the chicken came out dry. Not sure if that is normal or not. Taste was good.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.