Mediterranean Seafood Stew
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1/2 pound plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup clam juice
- 1/3 cup white wine or additional clam juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound orange roughy or red snapper fillets, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound sea scallops
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add 1/2 teaspoon garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, lemon peel and pepper flakes; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add the clam juice, wine or additional clam juice, tomato paste and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Add the fish, shrimp, scallops and parsley. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork, the shrimp turn pink and scallops are opaque. Combine mayonnaise and remaining garlic; dollop onto each serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 221 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 607mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 14, 2010
This recipe got rave reviews from my family. I substituted tilapia for the snapper as it was what I had on hand. I also omitted the mayo at the end...but made the rest of the recipe exactly as written. I'll definitely make this again!!
Jan 7, 2010
My family loved this stew. My husband is allergic to shrimp but not other seafoods so I substituted mussels for the shrimp (which are my daughter's favourite seafood) and it turned out terrific. We omitted the mayo and didn't miss it. This being a healthy dish is just icing on the cake.