Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
Makes8 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 2 pounds lamb stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound carrots, sliced
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) Guinness stout or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 6 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 325°. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, brown lamb in butter and oil in batches. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, saute carrots and onions in drippings until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Gradually add broth and beer. Stir in lamb, potatoes, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Cover and bake 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender, stirring every 30 minutes. Discard bay leaves, thyme and rosemary. Stir in cream; heat through. Freeze option: Place individual portions of stew in freezer containers and freeze up to 3 months. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 311 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 829mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Jul 27, 2016
Amazing! The meat is so tender and the broth has so much flavor. Delicious
Oct 2, 2014
It was delicious the meat was so juicing
Mar 10, 2014
Thought the beer taste was too strong.
Apr 5, 2012
Very yummy. I substituted Yukon Gold potatoes for Red as I like those better. Also had trouble finding Lam Stew meat so had the butcher take a leg of lamb, de-bone it and cut into stew meat. Was very tender.
Mar 14, 2012
Delicious!! And easy to prepare. We found the amount of pepper to be a little overpowering, so I'll just add less when I make it again. I cut the carrots and potatoes into more bite size pieces, cooked it for 1 1/2 hours, and that may have been just slightly too long - they both got a little mushy. Didn't really mind it though because it added to the creaminess once the heavy whipping cream was added. The next time I make it I may cut the pieces a bit bigger to see how it turns out. Overall, a very good recipe!!
Feb 6, 2012
I have never been a great stew fan and have never found a recipe that I really liked. That's all changed now. This recipe was EXCELLENT. So tasty, and distinct flavors. I cut the lamb and veggies more bite sized than one inch and it cooked a bit faster - about an hour and a half - and the lamb was really tender and the vegetables were not mushy. Really really good.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.