Traditional Lamb Stew
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1-1/2 pounds lamb stew meat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 large onions, quartered
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside. Add the onions, carrots and remaining oil to pan. cook for 5 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring occasionally. Add the potatoes, broth, salt, pepper and lamb; Bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat. Cover and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- With a slotted spoon, remove meat and vegetables to a large bowl; set aside and keep warm. Pour pan juices into another bowl; set aside.
- In the Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the parsley, chives, thyme, and meat and vegetables; heat through.
May 30, 2020
I followed the recipe, but used vegetable stock instead of beef stock. The lamb was tender an the dish was outstanding served with flaky biscuits.
Apr 24, 2020
A very good stew. If you love lamb you will love this! I did not have any chives and I had to use dried thyme. I also decided to use 2 tablespoons of flour so the broth would be a bit thicker. It was perfect for our liking. I used the crock pot for 6 hours on low instead of the oven and then at the end, I drained the liquid into a medium saucepan, leaving the veggies and meat in the slow cooker while I thickened up the gravy. It worked well.
May 11, 2019
I TRY LAST NIGHT MY KIDS SAY YUMMY. <a href="https://tasty-dinner-recipes.com/how-to-make-lamb-stew-recipe/">Tasty Dinner Recipes</a>
Sep 16, 2016
We are all so full! We made the lamb stew tonight for dinner. The only change was that we placed in slow cooker to let slow simmer all day. The lamb was so tender it just melted in our mouths. Delicious meal. Great dish for fall and winter. Thanks for sharing.
Nov 2, 2015
This was a great recipe, the adults as well as the kids enjoyed it, it is officially in the rotation. I did double the broth and of course the flour and seasonings. I also put the meat and juices in the oven without the veggies for a half hour and then added the veggies and baked for an hour. It was easy, beautiful and delicious. Thanks much for the recipe.
Apr 9, 2015
Great recipe. I doubled the beef broth to get all my vegetables covered. 1 1/2 hours in the oven.. Also doubled the spices to accommodate the extra broth. I used two tablespoons of flour, and still had to use a tablespoon of corn starch in order to get the gravy to thicken.
Jan 6, 2015
Delicious but I did make one simple change, I deglazed the pot with some red wine before adding potatoes and broth. I also added parsnips and mushrooms as I had them in the house and they needed to be eaten.
Apr 3, 2014
Best lamb stew I have ever had.
Nov 2, 2013
Absolutely wonderful recipe. So very delicious. Fresh herbs at the last minute. Does not require white wine which I never have on hand.
Oct 23, 2013
Added cream to give more gravy to the stew and also fresh rosemary