Mint Lamb Stew
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lamb stew meat, cubed
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cubed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon mint jelly
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add the meat, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown meat and shallots in oil in batches.
- Transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Add wine to the skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes. Add to slow cooker.
- Stir in the broth, potatoes, sweet potato, carrots, parsnips and garlic. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender. Stir in jelly; sprinkle with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 442 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 1016mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 31g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 24, 2018
It was okay. I didn't put in shallots/onions, but I don't think that would make a big difference. I didn't get much flavor from the mint jelly. It was edible, but I won't make again.
Nov 21, 2013
Even though I just discovered your recipe and haven't tried it yet, I'm giving you a 5-Star Rating! This recipe is something that I've been hoping to find ever since I lived in England and had this stew in 1988 & 1989. I am very excited to try it. Thanks for posting it. Have a great Thanksgiving!!