Roast Lamb with Plum Sauce
"Cloves of garlic inserted into slits cut in the meat are the secret to this recipe's success," writes Dorothy Pritchett of Wills Point, Texas.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 leg of lamb (5 to 6 pounds)
- 3 garlic cloves, slivered
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 jar (12 ounces) plum jam
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup white grape juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- Remove thin fat covering from the roast. Make slits in meat; insert a garlic sliver in each. Place on a rack in a large roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1-1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, for plum sauce, in a medium saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Add the jam, chili sauce, grape juice, lemon juice and allspice; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Baste roast with sauce. Bake 1 hour longer, basting occasionally, or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium, a thermometer should read 140°; medium-well, 145°), basting occasionally with plum sauce. Bring the remaining sauce to a boil; stir in parsley. Let roast stand for 10-15 minutes before carving. Serve remaining sauce with roast.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 300 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 253mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 0 fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Roast Lamb with Plum Sauce in Taste of Home April/May 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.