Old-Fashioned Lamb Stew
"This hearty stew is chock-full of tender lamb chunks and lots of vegetables," relates Michelle Wise of Spring Mills, Pennsylvania. "Sometimes, I prepare this recipe in my slow cooker."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 pounds boneless lamb, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, cut into eighths
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour, salt and pepper; add lamb, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown the lamb in oil; drain. Add tomatoes, onion, parsley, rosemary and garlic powder. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add carrots and potatoes; cover and cook 1 hour longer or until the meat is tender. Add peas and mushrooms; heat through. Thicken if desired.