Easy Moroccan Chickpea Stew
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- Chopped cilantro, optional
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add squash, onion and red pepper; cook and stir until onion is translucent and red pepper is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in seasonings until blended.
- Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until squash is tender, about 8 minutes. If desired, top with cilantro.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 217 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 455mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 9g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 18, 2018
My husband and I like this recipe as written. We served it over farro and like using the cilantro for color and taste. I tried it once doubling the cumin but prefer it as written. My husband adds hot sauce to his portion. We will probably add more butternut squash next time.