Chili-Lime Roasted Chickpeas
Looking for a lighter snack that's still a crowd-pleaser? You've found it! Chili-Lime Roasted Chickpeas will have everyone happily munching. —Julie Ruble, Charlotte, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas, rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a 15x10x1-in. baking sheet with foil. Spread chickpeas in a single layer over foil, removing any loose skins. Bake until very crunchy, 40-45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk remaining ingredients. Remove chickpeas from oven; let cool 5 minutes. Drizzle with oil mixture; shake pan to coat. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Test Kitchen Tips:
Rosemary-Sea Salt variation: Prepare chickpeas according to step 1 in the recipe above. Toss beans with 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, 1 Tbsp. minced fresh rosemary and 1/2 tsp. sea salt.
Orange Curry variation: Prepare chickpeas according to step 1 in the recipe above. Whisk 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, 1 tsp. grated orange peel and 1 Tbsp. curry powder. Toss beans with oil mixture. Cool completely.
Lemon-Pepper variation: Prepare chickpeas according to step 1 in the recipe above. Whisk 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, 1 tsp. grated lemon peel and 2 tsp. freshly cracked pepper. Toss beans with oil mixture. Cool completely.
Chickpeas are tossed with the spice mixture after baking because spices can become bitter if they burn.
Drying chickpeas—just rub them with a kitchen towel or paper towel—before roasting helps make them as crisp as possible.
Nutrition Facts1/3 cup: 178 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 463mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 6g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Chili-Lime Roasted Chickpeas in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.