Roasted Sweet Potato & Chickpea Pitas
Here's a hearty take on Mediterranean food, this time with sweet potatoes tucked inside. These unique pockets are delicious for lunch or dinner. —Beth Jacobson, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1-1/4 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups arugula or baby spinach
- 12 whole wheat pita pocket halves, warmed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place potatoes in a large microwave-safe bowl; microwave, covered, on high 5 minutes. Stir in chickpeas and onion; toss with 2 tablespoons oil, garam masala and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Spread into a 15x10x1-in. pan. Roast until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Place garlic and remaining oil in a small microwave-safe bowl; microwave on high until garlic is lightly browned, 1 to 1-1/2 minutes. Stir in yogurt, lemon juice, cumin and remaining salt.
- Toss potato mixture with arugula. Spoon into pitas; top with sauce and cilantro.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts2 filled pita halves: 462 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 662mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 12g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Roasted Sweet Potato & Chickpea Pitas in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.