Chickpea & Chipotle Tostadas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 3/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 medium head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- Shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat broiler. For sauce, mix sour cream and salsa.
- In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and stir red pepper and onion over medium heat until tender, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in broth, chickpeas, chipotles, cumin and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
- Coarsely mash mixture with a potato masher; stir in cilantro and lime juice. If desired, cook over low heat to thicken, stirring frequently.
- In batches, spritz both sides of tortillas with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet; broil 4-5 in. from heat until crisp and lightly browned, about 1 minute per side. To serve, top tortillas with chickpea mixture, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado and sauce. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts2 tostadas: 347 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 752mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 12g fiber), 12g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 14, 2020
Was looking for a vegetarian recipe using garbanzo that was not indian or Mediterranean. Made this as quesadilla filling with the sauce, tomatoes and avocado on top. Fantastic! Put Mexican cheese inside before grilling. Highly recommend!
Sep 11, 2019
Delish! Great flavours and I love the combo of the sour cream and salsa (which I used tomatillo because I couldn’t find salsa verde). Great recipe.
Jan 12, 2017
The men of the family weren't interested in this dish and the ladies didn't go back for seconds. So I suppose, in our family, this recipe wasn't a favorite. Always fun to experiment on new recipes anyway!
Oct 23, 2016
This was a really great healthy and family-friendly dinner recipe. My family really enjoyed being able to pick their favorite topics...I really liked them with everything on them, but it was also great that it was easy to adapt for picky eaters.