If you like Mexican fare, you're going to love these piled-high chicken tostadas! They make a quick-to-fix weekday dinner. —Janet Briggs
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 cups finely chopped tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups torn romaine
- Sour cream, optional
- Place tortillas on ungreased baking sheets; spritz both sides with cooking spray. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 7 minutes; turn and bake 3 minutes longer or until crisp. Set aside.
- In a food processor, process the beans until smooth. In a large saucepan, combine the beans, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin and salsa; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- Sprinkle chicken with remaining chili powder and cumin. In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken over medium heat for 5 minutes or until chicken juices run clear, stirring constantly.
- Spread bean mixture over tortillas to within 1/2 in. of edges of tortillas. Top with the chicken, tomatoes, onion and cheese. Bake at 350° for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with romaine. Garnish with sour cream if desired.
Originally published as Chicken Tostadas in Test Kitchen Favorites Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.