Shredded Chicken Tostadas
These flavorful tostadas are super easy and family friendly. You won't believe how tender and juicy the chicken comes out. Just load up the tostadas with your favorite fresh toppings, and you have one simple, sensational meal. —Lisa Kenny, Houston, Texas
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 3 hours.
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 16 tostada shell
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sliced avocado, sour cream, sliced jalapenos and fresh cilantro
- Place chicken in a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle with taco seasoning; top with diced tomatoes and green chiles. Cook, covered, on low until a thermometer inserted into chicken reads 165°, 3-4 hours.
- Shred meat with two forks. Return to slow cooker and add salt; heat through. Serve on tostada shells with cheese and if desired, optional ingredients.
- Pressure cooker option: Place 1/2 cup water in a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Add chicken and sprinkle with taco seasoning. Top with diced tomatoes and green chiles. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure cook on high for 8 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes; quick-release any remaining pressure. A thermometer inserted into chicken should read at least 165°.
- Shred meat with two forks. Return to slow cooker and add salt; heat through. Serve on tostada shells with cheese and optional toppings as desired.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture and juices in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts2 tostadas: 378 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 858mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 36g protein.
Originally published as Shredded Chicken Tostadas in Simple & Delicious June/July 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.