Pinto Bean Tostadas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese or queso fresco
- Lime wedges
- In a small bowl, mix sour cream, lime zest, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt. In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add garlic; cook and stir just until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Stir in beans, pepper sauce, chili powder and remaining salt; heat through, stirring occasionally. Keep warm.
- Brush both sides of tortillas with remaining oil. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tortillas in two batches; cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and crisp.
- To serve, arrange beans and lettuce over tostada shells; top with salsa, sour cream mixture and cheese. Serve with lime wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 tostada: 291 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 658mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 8g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
May 26, 2015
This was a surprisingly good and easy to prepare tostada. We sprinkled chopped tomatoes and red onions on top of the lettuce, then a dollop of lime cream ( love that cream).
Sep 16, 2014
Great! Looked plain in the picture, but the flavors were complex. Lime sour cream was unexpected. Restaurant quality.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.