Chicken Tostadas with Mango Salsa
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + marinating Cook: 20 min.
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 5 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 medium mangoes, peeled and diced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 3 cups coleslaw mix
- 6 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the orange juice, 3 tablespoons lime juice, garlic powder and cumin; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- For salsa, in a small bowl, combine the mangoes, onion, cilantro, serrano pepper, ginger, brown sugar, salt and remaining lime juice. Cover and chill until serving.
- Drain and discard marinade. Place chicken on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Cut into thin strips.
- In a nonstick skillet, cook tortillas over medium heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Top each with coleslaw mix, chicken, mango salsa and sour cream.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 238 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 203mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
Mar 29, 2012
Really tasty! I would recommend basting the chicken every once in a while, and the longer the salsa sits, the better the flavors gel. I used small corn tortillas, which added some more heart and nutrition to the mix. I also had cabbage on hand that I needed to use up, so substituted that for the cole slaw mix--perfectly fine!
Dec 11, 2011
Something about the mango and cilantro together....this was delicious.
Sep 3, 2011
My daughters and I loved it! The mango salsa adds the right amount of sweetness and the cabbage the right amount of crunchiness. I did leave out the pepper and used ground ginger and it still turned out super.
Jul 30, 2011
okay... hard to eat, didnt like the way the flavours melded together.