Chicken Tostadas with Mango Salsa
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + marinating Cook: 20 min.
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 5 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 medium mangoes, peeled and diced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 3 cups coleslaw mix
- 6 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the orange juice, 3 tablespoons lime juice, garlic powder and cumin; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- For salsa, in a small bowl, combine the mangoes, onion, cilantro, serrano pepper, ginger, brown sugar, salt and remaining lime juice. Cover and chill until serving.
- Drain and discard marinade. Place chicken on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Cut into thin strips.
- In a nonstick skillet, cook tortillas over medium heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Top each with coleslaw mix, chicken, mango salsa and sour cream.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 238 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 203mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
Mar 29, 2012
Really tasty! I would recommend basting the chicken every once in a while, and the longer the salsa sits, the better the flavors gel. I used small corn tortillas, which added some more heart and nutrition to the mix. I also had cabbage on hand that I needed to use up, so substituted that for the cole slaw mix--perfectly fine!
Dec 11, 2011
Something about the mango and cilantro together....this was delicious.
Sep 3, 2011
My daughters and I loved it! The mango salsa adds the right amount of sweetness and the cabbage the right amount of crunchiness. I did leave out the pepper and used ground ginger and it still turned out super.
Jul 30, 2011
okay... hard to eat, didnt like the way the flavours melded together.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.