Lime-Chipotle Carnitas Tostadas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 4 teaspoons ground chipotle pepper
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (4 to 5 pounds), halved
- 1 large onion, peeled and halved
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 to 2 limes, halved
- 16 tostada shells
- Optional toppings: Warmed refried beans, salsa, sour cream, shredded lettuce, chopped avocado, crumbled queso fresco and minced fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Add broth to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Mix seasonings; rub over all sides of pork. Place in slow cooker. Add onion and garlic cloves. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 8-10 hours.
- Remove pork; cool slightly. Strain cooking juices, reserving garlic cloves; discard onion. Skim fat from cooking juices. Mash garlic with a fork. Shred pork with two forks.
- Return cooking juices, garlic and pork to slow cooker. Squeeze lime juice over pork; heat through, stirring to combine. Layer tostada shells with pork mixture and toppings as desired. Serve with lime wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 tostada: 269 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 279mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 medium-fat meat, 1/2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 11, 2019
This is one of our favorite meals. We have it at least once a month. I use pork shoulder steaks instead of a roast. When you season both sides of the steaks, it yields more flavor!
Jan 8, 2017
It was absolutely delicious!
Jan 9, 2016
This meat was so tender and scrumptious! I loved just the meat with some fresh Pico de Gallo on it. Yum yum! .