Lime-Chipotle Carnitas Tostadas
Here's a great recipe for your next weeknight dinner. Set out various toppings and garnishes so your family members can custom-make their own tostadas with the lime-kissed shredded pork. —Jan Valdez, Chicago, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 4 teaspoons ground chipotle pepper
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (4 to 5 pounds), halved
- 1 large onion, peeled and halved
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 to 2 limes, halved
- 16 tostada shells
- Optional toppings: warmed refried beans, salsa, sour cream, shredded lettuce, chopped avocado, crumbled queso fresco and minced fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Add broth to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Mix seasonings; rub over all sides of pork. Place in slow cooker. Add onion and garlic cloves. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove pork; cool slightly. Strain cooking juices, reserving garlic cloves; discard onion. Skim fat from cooking juices. Mash garlic with a fork. Shred pork with two forks.
- Return cooking juices, garlic and pork to slow cooker. Squeeze lime juice over pork; heat through, stirring to combine. Layer tostada shells with pork mixture and toppings as desired. Serve with lime wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 tostada (calculated without optional toppings): 269 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 279mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 medium-fat meat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Lime-Chipotle Carnitas Tostadas in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.