Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours 10 min.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 pounds venison stew meat
- 3 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- 7 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Bottled browning sauce, optional
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven. Brown meat. Add onions, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, oregano, salt, pepper and water. Simmer, covered, 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Add potatoes and carrots. Continue to cook until vegetables are tender, about 30-45 minutes.
- Mix flour and cold water; stir into stew. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add browning sauce if desired. Remove bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 271 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 791mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein.
Nov 11, 2019
This was outstanding! My family loves Venison and I'm so happy to find a new recipe to make. Thanks for sharing!
Oct 15, 2017
made this today....really lovely thank you!!! just a few additions only because the greek in me wanted to!!! other than that I will be making this again!! thanks!
Sep 22, 2017
very good !! I added 2 cut up apple s , celery only half the onion that it requires because of other reviews , didn't mind. Will be using this one a lot. Thanks.
Jun 19, 2017
I love this recipe! I have been making it since it came out! I clipped it and filed it because it is so good. Very little changes now and then.
May 31, 2016
Mar 16, 2016
Delicious. I have made this several times and have been delighted.
Dec 22, 2015
This was good! I accidentally doubled the pepper and it was still good. I did add maybe 3/4 cup wine and extra water to cover the potatoes when those were added. Will make again though. Oh, and I cut the onion to just one because I don't like loads of cooked onion in a dish.
Jun 5, 2015
So I made this recipe last night, I had an issue with all f the liquid evaporating and had to add beef broth. Also I added corn and celery into the mix, the flavors were amazing. Definitely going to use this recipe again! Oh and my husband loved it!
Oct 15, 2014
My husband's review was "This is a manly stew!" We both enjoyed this. Like other reviewers, though, I added beef broth because otherwise there wasn't enough liquid.
Jul 13, 2014
This is awesome. My husband and I get various Venison Meats from Family at different times, and we have tried different recipes this was so good the venison melted in our mouth it was very good