Vermicelli Beef Stew
I love to try new recipes fro my husband and myself, and also when we entertain friends and relatives. This stew is a little different from most because of the vermicelli.—Sharon Delaney-Chronis, South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook 8-1/2 hours
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 ounces uncooked vermicelli, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, brown meat and onion in oil; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the water, tomatoes, vegetables, basil, salt and oregano. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in vermicelli. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until pasta is tender. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 294 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 455mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Easy Minestrone in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2009