Ground Beef Vermicelli
In this recipe, vermicelli noodles are first browned to develop a slightly nutty flavor. Then they simmer in a seasoned tomato sauce for a deliciously different dinner.—
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 8 ounces vermicelli, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 8 slices process American cheese
- In a large skillet, saute vermicelli in butter until browned. Add beef; cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the tomato sauce, celery, onions, corn, green pepper and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Arrange cheese slices over the top. Cook, uncovered, until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 292 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 1104mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Ground Beef Vermicelli in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.