Creamy Veggie Vermicelli
When I first met my husband, he didn't like any green vegetables. Now, this is his favorite dish!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 8 ounces uncooked vermicelli
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- In a large skillet, saute broccoli and asparagus in butter for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, cook vermicelli according to package directions.
- In a large saucepan, cook and stir the cream cheese and milk over medium heat until smooth. Add the Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper; cook 2 minutes longer or until blended. Remove from the heat.
- Stir lemon peel into the vegetables. Drain vermicelli; place in a large serving bowl. Add vegetables and cheese sauce; toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 342 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 433mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Creamy Veggie Vermicelli in Country June/July 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.