Creamy Vegetable Lasagna
Our Test Kitchen created this recipe for this creamy herbed vegetable lasagna. It's also a great option for a vegetarian main dish.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 4 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 1 small sweet red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cut 3 noodles widthwise in half. Cut remaining noodle widthwise into thirds. In a skillet, saute the carrots, zucchini, red pepper, mushrooms and garlic in oil until tender; set aside. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add the Parmesan cheese, basil, onion salt and garlic powder. In a bowl, combine the ricotta, egg, cheese and seasoning.
- Spread 1/4 cup white sauce in an ungreased 7x5x1-1/2-in. (3 cup) baking dish. Cover bottom of dish with 2 large noodle pieces and one small piece. Layer with 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup white sauce, half of the vegetables and half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Repeat layers once, starting with the noodles. Top with remaining noodles and sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 724 calories, 45g fat (23g saturated fat), 184mg cholesterol, 717mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 4g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Vegetable Lasagna in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook