Ground Beef Veggie Stew
Total TimePrep/Toatl Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow summer squash, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Reduced-fat sour cream, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes, breaking into crumbles; drain. Remove from pan; set aside.
- In the same saucepan, add oil, squash, zucchini and red pepper; cook and stir until crisp-tender, 5-7 minutes. Add beef, tomatoes, water, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 5-8 minutes. Stir in cilantro to serve. If desired, top with sour cream.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 180 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 663mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Sep 2, 2019
I don't consider this an end of summer soup/stew. Two squash and a pepper is not a loaded stew. With all the goodness that is out there like corn, carrots, green beans and so much more to be had WOULD make an true end of summer soup/stew. I am not saying that this is not a good recipe but the title is deceiving.
Apr 7, 2019
Great soup.. I made it a couple more times with various ingredients such as cooked macaroni, fresh tomatoes, and different vegetables. It all works and tastes good