To add extra variety to this easy soup, toss in whatever leftovers you have on hand. This recipe is quick to assemble, a definite plus here on our small but busy livestock farm.—Stephanie Allread, Bradford, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
Makesabout 10 cups
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes or 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook ground beef with onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 168 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 840mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Hamburger Chowder in Country Ground Beef
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.