Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 pound potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 12 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed (about 2-1/4 cups)
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook beef, onion and pepper over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Add garlic to beef mixture; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended.
- Gradually stir in milk. Add potatoes, water and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add cheese; stir until melted. Sprinkle servings with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 473 calories, 27g fat (14g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 1047mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 2, 2018
I liked it, but found it to be a little on the sweet side. Salt and pepper helped. If I make it again I may try the Worcestershire and liquid smoke.
Dec 23, 2017
This was just OK as written. After tasting it as it cooked, I added salt and pepper, 1 Tbl. Worcestershire sauce, and about 1/2 tsp. Old Hickory Smoke Salt. Now it's a keeper!
Jan 1, 2017
Absolutely loved it!!
Oct 26, 2016
I cooked up half a pound of bacon, drained part of the grease, then saut?ed my onions and peppers and added 6 minced garlic cloves (it's not a recipe if it has only 1 garlic clove!) right before I added the hamburger. I also changed the cheese, instead of processed Velveeta. I used a combination of Gruyere, Gouda and cheddar cheeses. I didn't use the bullion, don't cook with it. The soup was delicious, however something I wouldn't make regularly because of the calories.
Dec 11, 2015
Thanks for a flavorful and hearty recipe. Will definitely make again. I added worchershire, salt & pepper, extra garlic powder, banana pepper and onion flakes. Next time I will par-cook the potatoes and finish them in the chowder to speed up the process.
Dec 10, 2015
Excellent meal for a cool damp foggy evening at home!
Dec 1, 2015
I made this last night for my husband. I don't really know what I was expecting, but was a little disappointed with the outcome. The main reason I made it was because I had all the ingredients. I only had a taste, but to me it tasted like Hamburger Helper. Probably won't make it again.
May 7, 2015
Very Good! Very Tasty! I couldn't believe how much it tasted like a cheeseburger. Will definitely be making this again.
Feb 28, 2015
looks really good, have not tried it yet., making it tonight!
Feb 3, 2015
Won first place at Souper Bowl on 2/1/2015 !