Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 pound potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 12 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed (about 2-1/4 cups)
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook beef, onion and pepper over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Add garlic to beef mixture; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended.
- Gradually stir in milk. Add potatoes, water and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add cheese; stir until melted. Sprinkle servings with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 473 calories, 27g fat (14g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 1047mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein.
Jun 2, 2018
I liked it, but found it to be a little on the sweet side. Salt and pepper helped. If I make it again I may try the Worcestershire and liquid smoke.
Dec 23, 2017
This was just OK as written. After tasting it as it cooked, I added salt and pepper, 1 Tbl. Worcestershire sauce, and about 1/2 tsp. Old Hickory Smoke Salt. Now it's a keeper!
Jan 1, 2017
Absolutely loved it!!
Oct 26, 2016
I cooked up half a pound of bacon, drained part of the grease, then saut?ed my onions and peppers and added 6 minced garlic cloves (it's not a recipe if it has only 1 garlic clove!) right before I added the hamburger. I also changed the cheese, instead of processed Velveeta. I used a combination of Gruyere, Gouda and cheddar cheeses. I didn't use the bullion, don't cook with it. The soup was delicious, however something I wouldn't make regularly because of the calories.
Dec 11, 2015
Thanks for a flavorful and hearty recipe. Will definitely make again. I added worchershire, salt & pepper, extra garlic powder, banana pepper and onion flakes. Next time I will par-cook the potatoes and finish them in the chowder to speed up the process.
Dec 10, 2015
Excellent meal for a cool damp foggy evening at home!
Dec 1, 2015
I made this last night for my husband. I don't really know what I was expecting, but was a little disappointed with the outcome. The main reason I made it was because I had all the ingredients. I only had a taste, but to me it tasted like Hamburger Helper. Probably won't make it again.
May 7, 2015
Very Good! Very Tasty! I couldn't believe how much it tasted like a cheeseburger. Will definitely be making this again.
Feb 28, 2015
looks really good, have not tried it yet., making it tonight!
Feb 3, 2015
Won first place at Souper Bowl on 2/1/2015 !
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.