Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1/2 pound bulk sage-flavored sausage or sausage of your choice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- In a large saucepan, cook the sausage, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the water, potatoes and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Add corn; simmer 10 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into the sausage mixture.
Oct 25, 2014
Love this chowder recipe. It doesn't take long to make, reheats easily the next day and my husband LOVES it! Come to think of it...I LOVE it too. I usually add a little more onion to the recipe...but that's the only change I've made.
Oct 16, 2014
This is one of my favorite Chowder recipes makes my family feel all warm and fuzzy
Apr 15, 2013
This recipe was super easy to put together. I omitted the corn and added some cheddar cheese and Italian cheese blend, served with a side of cheesy breadsticks, it was a hit with my entire family!
Feb 19, 2013
Used mild Italian sausage, added 1/2 tsp. Chipotle pepper and 1/2 cup of Tex-Mex Shredded Cheese at the end. Quite tasty! I will also try this with Smoked Sausage to see how it compares. We had cheese croissants with the chowder and they were a perfect compliment. Thanks for the recipe!
Jan 14, 2013
Wonderful, I used sausage we made from a wild bore I shot. This is a keeper. I did add carrots.
Jan 7, 2013
This was fantastic, what a great creamy flavor I will definitely make this again!
Oct 31, 2012
I thought this recipe was great. I changed some things. I used Idaho potatoes, put some carrots, chopped red pepper, and skim milk. I also but in 1 1/2 cups of shredded colby jack cheese.
Jan 5, 2012
This is SO good and great on a cold night. My husband was away for a few days and I served this to him when he got home and he said "now I feel like I'm home!" I used canned potatoes so it came together even more quickly. I will definitely be making this again. Thanks Kay!
Sep 29, 2011
I've made this recipe for the last couple of years and am always asked to share it!! I add a little carrots and sliced mushrooms and substitue fat free half-in-half for half the milk. My family loves it and it's become my signature soup among friends!
Jan 21, 2011
Absolutely delish. I doubled this recipe so we'd have some leftovers and I'm glad I did. The kids loved it and it was perfect for a cold winter night.