Vegetable Beef Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + standing
- 3 medium potatoes, sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 cups cut fresh or frozen cut green beans
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a 3-qt. casserole, layer half of the potatoes, carrots, celery, green beans and onion. Crumble half of the uncooked beef over vegetables. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon each of thyme, salt and pepper. Repeat layers.
- Top with tomatoes. Cover and bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake about 1 hour longer or until vegetables are tender and meat is no longer pink. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 326 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 607mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 7, 2011
I put garlic cloves (minced) in the meat, added some creaole seasoning and it was pretty good. My family wants it again.Next time I will add bacon.
Jan 28, 2009
I made this for our meal this evening and my husband and I really liked it. All I substituted was canned green beans for the fresh or frozen and Prairie Heritage Herbs for the thyme. Prairie Heritage Herbs is a blend my mother made up and now I continue to make it especially before Christmas for little gifts. Thanks for a great recipe that I plan to prepare when our sons and daughter-in-law are home next time.Lynette