Venison Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 10 min. + simmering
- 1 boneless shoulder venison roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 quarts beef broth
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil; add the next five ingredients. Cover and simmer for 4 hours or until meat is tender.
- For spaetzle, beat eggs and salt in a medium bowl. With a wooden spoon, gradually stir in flour and milk. In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Place dough in a colander or spaetzle maker; place over boiling broth. Press dough with a wooden spoon until bits drop into broth. Cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain; toss spaetzle with butter. Sprinkle with pepper and keep warm.
- Remove roast to a serving platter and keep warm. Measure 3 cups pan juices; return to pan. Combine water and flour; stir into pan juices. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Slice roast; serve with spaetzle and gravy.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 517 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 216mg cholesterol, 1963mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 50g protein.
Nov 3, 2013
I dont know about anyone else, but the whole pushing dough through the colander did not work! I had to use a slotted spoon and it was very tedious. Other than that, great recipe!
Jan 13, 2012
This was the favorite of me and my children. We had almost no money and hunting relatives supplied us with venison. I read that's it's always proper to serve game to the queen, and we felt rich eating this.
Nov 22, 2009
Delicious and easy. I make this every fall (if and when we get a deer) and we loved it so much that I bought a spaetlze maker to make it easier. The meat turned out tender and not gamey and the flavors were complementary. Quite good.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.