Pot Roast with Asian Black Bean Sauce
I love stir-fry with black bean sauce. This recipe takes the delicious flavor of black bean sauce and joins it with fork-tender pot roast. —Judy Lawson, Chelsea, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5-1/2 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup Asian black bean sauce
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 8 ounces fresh snow peas, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- 4 green onions, sliced
- Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown roast 3-4 minutes on each side. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Add onion. Whisk together black bean sauce and broth; pour over roast. Cook, covered, on low 5-6 hours.
- Add mushrooms and snow peas; continue cooking on low until meat is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove roast and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a small saucepan; skim fat. Bring cooking juices to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve roast with hot cooked rice and sauce. Sprinkle with green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 281 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 602mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Black Bean Pot Roast in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2017