Soy-Ginger Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown roast on all sides. Transfer meat to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix water, soy sauce, honey, vinegar, garlic, ginger and mustard; pour over meat. Top with onion. Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast and onion to a serving platter; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a large saucepan; skim fat. Bring cooking juices to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast.
Nutrition Facts6 ounces cooked beef with 1/2 cup gravy: 489 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 147mg cholesterol, 1256mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 46g protein.
Dec 22, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of pot roast but my husband is so when I came across this i really wanted to try it. So glad I did! We both loved it and the flavors blended together great. I didn't Brown it on all sides because i was in a hurry. Still was great!
Jun 29, 2017
My family loves pot roast, this recipe gave me yet another good recipe to add for pot roast. Next time I think I will add a few greek peppers in it.
Oct 1, 2015
I would give this 6 stars if I could!!! I loved the flavors of the spices coupled with the tangy cider vinegar and mustard. A keeper for sure!
Sep 18, 2015
Very good, and very easy. I also skipped the browning step, and it didn't seem to change the results. I'll be making this tender roast again!
Sep 14, 2015
Great flavor, and very easy to make. My kids loved it!
Jul 15, 2015
Made this last night for friends. Skipped the browning step because I was short on time in the morning. Shredded it and served over brown rice. Everyone loved it!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.