Cajun-Style Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Hot cooked rice
- Cut roast in half; sprinkle with Cajun seasoning. In a large skillet, brown roast in oil on all sides. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the tomatoes, red pepper, celery, onion, tapioca, garlic and salt; pour over roast.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Serve with rice.
- Freeze option: Remove beef, vegetables and juices from slow cooker; cool slightly. Slice beef; transfer all to freezer containers. Freeze for up to 3 months. To use, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a Dutch oven; heat through. Thin with beef broth if necessary. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 328 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 1336mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 15, 2011
Everyone in my family loves this recipe.
Dec 18, 2010
This is so good. I make it often.
Jan 16, 2010
We did not enjoy this recipe that much. There did not seem to be that much flavor in the meat and the sauce was too runny for our liking. The meat was very tender but the sauce had all the flavor.