Shredded Beef Burrito Filling
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 5 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa verde
- Tortillas, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, guacamole, salsa and fresh cilantro leaves, optional
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine beef and broth. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 6-8 hours. Remove meat; discard juices. When cool enough to handle, shred with two forks. Return to slow cooker.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and jalapenos; cook and stir until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and seasonings; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in crushed tomatoes and salsa; bring to a boil. Pour mixture over shredded beef; stir to combine. Cook, covered, on high until heated through, about 1 hour.
- Using tongs, serve on tortillas for burritos or tacos; add toppings as desired.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 379 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 509mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 39g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 27, 2018
This was tender and delicious! Will definitely make again. I’m going to try it with a pork roast. Very good flavor.
May 28, 2018
Excellent! I had 6 pounds of chuck roast and used it all, cooking it in the broth all night in the slow cooker as instructed. I followed the recipe exactly except I had to add more salt to the finished dish. One-eight of a teaspoon of salt for 5-6 pounds of chuck roast is not nearly enough, and I'm not a big salt lover. I wondered if it was a type-o. The family loved it. I served it to 12 adults buffet style. Some made burritos while others made tacos. All rated it top notch. In fact, we were left with nothing because they took the left overs home with them along with the recipe. Just remember to sample and add salt to your liking. We love this recipe. It's great and very versatile. Thank you.