Mexican Pot Roast Filling
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- Taco shells or flour tortillas (8 inches)
- Chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce and shredded Mexican cheese blend
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cut roast in half; rub spice mixture over meat. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Top with chilies, onion and garlic. Pour broth over meat. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat from slow cooker; shred with two forks. Skim fat from cooking juices. Return meat to slow cooker; heat through. Using a slotted spoon, place 1/2 cup meat mixture on each taco shell. Top with tomatoes, lettuce and cheese.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup beef mixture (calculated without tacos and toppings): 224 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 247mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Apr 10, 2020
this was awful...just a total waste of money and time
Apr 9, 2020
This was really good. The family loved it. So easy to put together. I did not have a can of green chiles so I used 1/2 can of Rotel. It was good. I will definitely make this again! Thank you for sharing!
Oct 19, 2015
This is an excellent recipe and would make a good enchilada filling too -- perhaps extended with rice or beans.My slow-cooker isn't slow, and my electric induction range maintains a very even low heat, so I cooked it on the stove, maintaining a liquid temperature around 180 degrees.
Jan 6, 2015
This is my second time making it. I made it as instructed and it is very good in a flour tortilla with refried beans, sour cream, salsa, and cheese.
Jul 14, 2014
This was good and everyone ate it. Not sure it will go into my rotation since it really wasn't that different than a regular ground beef taco. It was nice to set it up in the morning and just serve it in the evening, though.
Jan 8, 2014
Loved this recipe. My husband is usually leery of new recipes, and he really enjoyed this. The meat was so tender and tasty. Will definitely make this again!
Jan 6, 2014
This was really good. I made it without green chilies and used a whole can of beef broth. It took exactly 8 hours to cook.
Aug 13, 2013
I didn't make any changes to this and it was amazing. I will make it again and again!