Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno pepper
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1-1/3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2/3 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1/2 cup Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add peppers; saute until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the water, tomato puree, chili powder, bouillon, salt and cayenne; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add the chicken, beans and rice; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 279 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 458mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
Dec 1, 2009
Nice recipe. For once I had no complaints from the family. Only changes I made was I used a 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes (what I had on hand) and I increased chili powder to 2 tbl+. We like more seasoning than called for! I used no additional salt. I used mexican blend shredded cheese at the table, as well as chopped black olives, cilantro, and sour cream.
Oct 20, 2009
I used the cumin instead of chili pwd and used 4 cups chicken broth and added 2 cups raw rice to cook for 30 min
Oct 16, 2009
I would not make it as it is written but would substitute tomatoes for the water and tomato puree, cumin for the chili powder, and some other bean for the kidney beans. In Texas the Mexican people do not use kidney beans. They might use black of pinto bean. White Mexican cheese should be used instead of cheddar. Then it could be called a Mexican Stir-Fry.
Oct 16, 2009
To decrease the amount of sodium in this reciped by at least half - leave out the salt, use, low sodium or no sodium tomatoe past, chicken granules, cheese and kidney beans. There is plenty of seasoning in the peppers and other herbs used in this reciped for flavor.LAG