Valerie Belley of St. Louis, Missouri stir-fries a medley of six vegetables to create this colorful side dish for two that she serves on a bed of rice. "It's hard to believe to beat this elegant dish.
Total TimePrep: 15 min.
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small onion, julienned
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 small zucchini, julienned
- 6 large mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch, water and soy sauce until smooth; set aside. In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry the broccoli, carrot and onion in oil for 5 minutes. Add the cabbage, zucchini, mushrooms and garlic. Stir-fry until vegetables are tender. Stir soy sauce mixture; add to skillet. Cook and stir until thickened. Serve with rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 150 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 939mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.
Originally published as Veggie Stir-Fry For Two in Quick Cooking March/April 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.