Mexican Chili Pie
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon each baking soda, salt and sugar
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add seasonings and tomatoes. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Add green pepper. Spoon 2 cups into an ungreased 2-1/2-qt. shallow baking dish; top with half of the beans. Repeat layers.
- For topping, combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in cheese. Combine buttermilk, egg and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Spread over filling.
- Bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until topping is lightly browned and filling is bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 450 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 723mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 28g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 4, 2015
I have made this more than several times and we love it. I do substitute ground turkey sometimes for the ground beef...still delicious whether you use beef or turkey..
Oct 9, 2011
This is a family favorite. My husband asks for it on a regular basis. We like to add some frozen corn for even more color and flavor.