Chicken Taco Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 tube (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeno slices
- Sour cream and additional salsa
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unroll crescent dough and separate into triangles. Press onto bottom of a greased 9-in. pie plate to form a crust, sealing seams well. Bake until golden brown, 18-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook chicken over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles, 6-8 minutes; drain. Stir in taco seasoning, green chiles, water and salsa; bring to a boil.
- Spoon into crust; sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, 8-10 minutes.
- Top with lettuce, peppers, tomato, green onion and pickled jalapeno. Serve with sour cream and additional salsa.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece (calculated without sour cream and additional salsa): 328 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 1122 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate (5 g sugars, 1 g fiber), 17 g protein.
Feb 28, 2018
This was pretty yummy. I made a few changes: used ground beef instead of chicken, reduced sodium taco seasoning (which was a mistake - more on that later), Pillsbury pie crust instead of crescent rolls, and omitted the green chilies and jalapeno slices. Overall the changes were good, but unfortunately the reduced sodium taco seasoning was NOT very good. As soon as we took a bite, we knew it was missing something - turned out it was the salt! I hate salty foods, so for me to actually add salt to a meal is a big deal. Obviously this was my fault, not the recipe's. Next time I think I might add some salsa on top as well. Overall a decent recipe that I'll be trying again with tweaks.
Dec 17, 2017
We loved this. So easy to put together - I always keep cooked, diced chicken in the freezer for things like this. Mixed that with the taco seasoning, etc. and made quick work of preparation.
Nov 13, 2017
Overall, I followed the recipe except that I cut up chicken breast into 1/2-inch or so cubes. Very good dinner for a quick meal.
Jun 10, 2017
This was an immediate hit!
Mar 5, 2016
This was a very delicious recipe. Loved it! I used some left over cooked chicken breasts I had on hand and shredded it up. Then just browned up the shredded pieces with the spices and followed the rest of the recipe. It is best to let it set a bit before cutting. This was great cold too. I enjoyed it for my lunch the next day.
Feb 16, 2016
We really liked this. Good amount of vegetables and flavor. Served 4 of us with about 1/4 of the pie leftover.
Sep 28, 2015
This is such a great and easy recipe. I love this recipe. Flavors go so well together. Ground turkey works well too.
Sep 7, 2015
I like playing with recipes, that's why I don't like baking, this is so versatile you can use beef if you like. Either way I add 1 can of refried beans heated in a hot pan with some bacon fat for flavor and 1/4 cup or so of grated sharp cheddar. While the beans are hot and spread easily I put them on the crust first then add the beef or chicken then a can of drained sliced olives and top everything off with a good full cup of either grated pepper jack, sharp Cheddar or a combo of both. I adjust the seasonings to our tastes but you can use whatever you like. 2 or 3 diced Serrano peppers and some chopped onion added to the beef or chicken while it's cooking amps up the spice factor. I buy extra lean ground beef so I never drain it after it's cooked, you need some fat for flavor. I have used a pre baked pie crust in the past but the crescent dough gives it more of a puffy taco texture. Like another member noted, this makes 4 not 6 servings.
Nov 27, 2014
This was so good! Very easy to make. I made it without jalapenos and green onions. More likely to serve 4, than 6.
Oct 26, 2014
Very simple to put together and so good that my husband & I ate almost the whole thing. If your family are big eaters......double the recipe!