Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook and crumble beef with onion and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink, 4-6 minutes. Stir in spices and tomatoes. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. In a small bowl, mix ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons cilantro.
- Place one tortilla in a 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray. Layer with half of the meat sauce, one tortilla, ricotta mixture, another tortilla and remaining meat sauce. Top with remaining tortilla; sprinkle with cheddar cheese and remaining cilantro.
- Bake, covered, until heated through, 15-20 minutes.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 356 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 574mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 medium-fat meat, 2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 14, 2019
I've made it like the recipe but have also made it and added more spice, beans and corn
Mar 29, 2019
It was just ok. It was definitely in need of seasoning, which I did to the meat mixture. The ricotta layer is what needs help. Most recipes with ricotta add egg and seasoning.
Mar 28, 2019
Just okay, won’t bother to make again as there is another dish similar to this that is much better
Jan 14, 2019
Delicious and simple to prepare. I made this in a spring form pan which made it simple to serve. We love the ricotta in this dish, but I agree with others that it needed a little more spice and I will do that then next time I make it. Definitely adding to our rotation.
Dec 2, 2018
Love this dish! Quick and easy to put together and a great make-ahead, as well. I used my own Freezer Pleaser Taco Mixture, since I had it on hand.
Jun 23, 2018
We had this for dinner tonight and it was delicious. After reading the reviews I added some chili seasoning mix for more flavor and used fire roasted tomatoes. I did not have any ricotta cheese so used all Mozzarella. It was delicious. Quick and easy. We will be having this again.Volunteer Field Editor
Nov 17, 2017
There are so many recipe additions to this to try. This had fantastic flavor and was easy to put in the table. Next time I may try black olives in it or spice things up with jalapenos.
Sep 15, 2015
This is a regular in our menu rotation- Instead of the onion and garlic, I use 1 package of Mild Taco seasoning.
Jan 7, 2012
A HUGE hit for dinner tonight. We used diced tomatoes with jalapenos in them...very yummy :-)
Jul 26, 2011
Easy to put together and attractive, as well as tasty. I think it could use a bit more spice. My only complaint was that there was absolutely no way the pie would be hot all the way through baking, covered, at 400 for ONLY 15 minutes.