Jamaican-Style Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 5 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked rice or mashed potatoes, optional
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sugar; cook and stir for 1 minute or until lightly browned. Add beef and brown on all sides.
- Stir in the vegetables, broth, barbecue sauce, soy sauce, steak sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice or potatoes if desired. Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 285 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 892mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 32g protein.
Jan 29, 2018
Wow...this is so delicious! I made it almost exactly as written, except that I didn't have any beef, so I used pork, and I didn't have green onions, so I used about 1/4 cup white onion. There is so much flavor in this stew! I like spicy, so I used about a teaspoon of hot sauce. I will make this on a regular basis. YUM!!!
Apr 2, 2017
We loved this recipe. I halved it for the two of us, omitted the steak sauce because I had none, and substituted dried crushed rosemary for the thyme and chopped yellow onion for the green onion. (I prefer not to cook with green onions because they turn unattractively yellowish.) I garnished each serving with the chopped green onions and served the stew over garlic mashed potatoes.
Oct 25, 2016
This was a fabulous stew! I had to leave out the allspice, and I used top round steak instead of sirloin, but otherwise, I followed the recipe. I browned the beef in the sugar and oil as it said, but instead of making it on the stove, I cooked it in my electric pressure cooker on the soup/stew setting for 30 minutes. Perfection! I made it for lunch, and my kids ate it up. We served it over 1/2 cup of brown rice stirred in with a little cheddar cheese on top. Delicious! Even my very picky daughter rated it a 9 out of 10. Yummy!
Nov 11, 2015
Awesome flavorful stew! A great addition to a healthy lifestyle, and a family favorite.
Oct 6, 2014
I decided try this beef stew, because my usual beef stew recipe is much too high in calories, but I miss it when trying to lose weight. While I still like my old recipe, this one, in some ways, is better, even though it is very different. This is a recipe to reuse. While another person suggested the seasonings like the BBQ sauce and the steak sauce were not necessary, I thought they added a lot.The only drawback to this is smelling it while it cooks and you are hungry. It is sort of like torture to smell it and not be able to eat it because it needs to cook longer! If you can put up with that, it will not disappoint.
Feb 22, 2013
My husband and adult son love this. I prepared everything the night before and put it in the slow cooker 8 hrs on low. It was wonderful!! To save time I used baby carrots. Also added just a little powdered Jamaican jerk seasoning to kick it up a knotch.
Jan 9, 2012
This was outstanding! We substituted lean stew meat and I left out the steak sauce because we had none and doubled the spice. We rarely eat red meat but this recipe will have us coming back again and again.
Jan 7, 2012
I was looking for a recipe with a different flavor and WOW!! OMG did I ever find it. It is a great cold weather dish. I will definitely make this dish again!
Jan 3, 2012
This is similar to how I have been making my stew beef...but I use short ribs instead, and dice potatoes and make spinners to cook down in the stew, and finally, instead of hot pepper sauce, I use a scotch bonnet pepper for better flavour. I don't use beef broth or corn starch or bbq sauce or steak sauce...not necessary.
Sep 15, 2011
Great recipe! Very savory, and makes the house smell wonderful while it is simmering on the stove. We like it with mashed potatoes -- the gravy from the stew goes really well with them.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.