Creole Beef Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine soup, sour cream, onion and pepper. Stir in potatoes and cheese; transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish.
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in ketchup, brown sugar and seasonings; spread over potatoes. Combine cornflakes and butter; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until bubbly.
Editor's NoteThe following spices may be substituted for 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 654 calories, 36g fat (21g saturated fat), 133mg cholesterol, 1763mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Dec 9, 2017
This is a good casserole, nice and rich. I do have to admit that I cut down on the ketchup and brown sugar and used green onions, but other that that followed the recipe. Will be making again!
Jan 20, 2017
Just fair. Omitted the cornflakes & butter. Very sweet. Not sure what flavor the recipe was going for.- Theresa
Mar 17, 2012
The flavors didn't mix.. you had a hashbrown casserole on the bottom, with a sweet meat mixture on the top.. i liked all the layers separately, but they just didn't go together. The meat needs to be spicier or something. Not quite sure what would fix this.
Apr 9, 2011
Too sweet. I lived in New Orleans for 5 years. Not much "Creole" about this. My husband is not a picky eater but he could not even finish his portion. 85% potato; 15% meat. And the onions should have been sauteed with the beef -- too hard.I would rate this 0 stars, if I had that option.
Dec 13, 2010
Reminded my family of sloppy joes on hashbrowns. We will not be making this dish again.
Nov 7, 2010
Excellent! I added 2 lbs. of meat, and changed the potatoes to O'brien style. I also added adobe sauce to the ketchup for a little kick.
Oct 24, 2010
Fabulous rich and hearty meal!! This makes wonderful "comfort food" in cooler weather. My husband and I absolutely loved it :0)
Oct 24, 2010
Instead of using Cornflakes I used French's Fried Onions and I think next time I would cook up the onions before I add them to the potatoes. Pretty good I would make this again.