Jamaican Ham and Bean Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes7 servings (2-3/4 quarts)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) vegetarian refried beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (7 ounces) white or shoepeg corn, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- Sour cream and lime slices
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the ham, refried beans, broth, corn, chiles, salsa and jerk seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the olives and lime juice; heat through. Garnish servings with sour cream and lime slices.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups (calculated without garnishes): 312 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 2211mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 9g fiber), 20g protein.
Jan 3, 2015
Really different from the plain ham and corn soups.
Mar 15, 2012
Surprisingly good flavor! I didn't have Caribbean jerk seasoning, so I used Weber's N'Orleans Cajun, which I'm sure changed the flavor completely, but I loved it.
Feb 10, 2012
This was a good recipe and well worth it for someone to try. We simply decided we have another similar recipe we enjoyed more.
Jan 12, 2012
My 3 boys and I loved this soup - quick and easy on a cold night!
Nov 27, 2011
The refried beans gave the broth a weird texture.
Nov 20, 2011
I used less lime than the recipe called for but it was still tooooo much. I could not even taste the Jerk. The sour cream did cut it but it was still JUST okay.
Nov 10, 2011
Loved this soup!! Made it exactly by the recipe and it turned out delicious!! Loved just opening all the cans!! Very easy and super good! Will definitely be making again and sharing this recipe!!
Oct 18, 2011
Soooooo delicious (and easy)!