Provencal Ham & Bean Soup
There is nothing quite like the wonderful feeling of when you open the door and smell this delicious stew bubbling away in the slow cooker. To make preparation even easier, I like to start it the night before, and then all I have to do is turn on the slow cooker in the morning. —Lyndsay Wells, Ladysmith, British Columbia
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + soaking Cook: 7 hours
Makes10 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 2 cups assorted dried beans for soup
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole plum tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 large Yukon Gold potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons herbes de Provence
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 carton (32 ounces) unsalted chicken stock
- French bread
- Rinse and sort beans; soak according to package directions. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- Transfer beans to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Add tomatoes; crush with a wooden spoon until chunky. Stir in ham, vegetables, garlic, seasonings and stock. Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours or until beans are tender. Serve with bread.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups (calculated without bread): 212 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 887mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 9g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Provencal Ham and Bean Stew in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.