Autumn Vegetable Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pound round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
- Combine salt, pepper and paprika; toss with beef. In a large saucepan over medium heat, brown beef in oil. Sprinkle with flour; stir well. Add water, onion, tomato sauce, bouillon, caraway seeds and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add potatoes, turnips and carrots; cover and simmer 45 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 297 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 1249mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 29g protein.
Oct 30, 2016
This stew was super! I used beef stew meat, half teaspoon thyme instead of caraway seeds, 2 stalks celery, 2 minced garlic cloves, and half a large rutabaga instead of the turnips. My husband raved about it...will definitely make again!
Oct 27, 2013
I have made many beef stew recipes over the years, and this is among the best. I left out the turnips due to both not having any and family members who do not like turnips, and it turned out just fine (I added in an extra potato to make up for the missing turnips). This beef stew was tender and had just the right seasonings. My husband loved it!