Winter Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 pounds small red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bacon strip, cooked and crumbled
- In a Dutch oven, cook meat and chopped onion in oil over medium-high heat until meat is browned on all sides. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add the potatoes, carrots, quartered onions and mushrooms.
- In a small bowl, combine the broth, apple juice, tomato paste, parsley, bay leaves, salt, thyme and pepper. Pour over meat.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 2 hours. Stir. Bake, uncovered, for 30-45 minutes longer or until stew reaches desired thickness. Discard bay leaves; sprinkle with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 364 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 544mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 5, 2017
Yum - deserves 5 stars - such Great taste ! I used worcestershire pepper & tossed the potatoes, carrots & celery in a package of liptons "savory herb with garlic "seasoning before adding them to rest of stew . I accidentally bought steak fajita strips & ended up just using them & it still turned out delicious ! (I cut down the baking time a little bit & used my convection oven ) Kids loved the smell while it was cooking - our family of 6 gobbled it up w no leftovers . Made it on the first day of snow !!!