Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 4 cups water
- 1 to 2 bay leaves
- 1 to 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 cups cubed peeled pumpkin
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add meat, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil and butter. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the carrots, celery, water, bay leaves, bouillon, thyme and remaining pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Stir in pumpkin. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until meat and pumpkin are tender. Discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 248 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 302mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 8, 2014
Excellent! I sub'd sweet potatoes for the pumpkin. I used the higher amounts of garlic and thyme. I will try 2 bay leaves next time. I did add 4 total bouillon cubes instead of 2 t of granulated bouillon and added extra salt and pepper to taste at the end.
Oct 1, 2012
I absolutely LOVE this recipe! slight change though I used sweet potatoes instead of pumpkin and it was delicious!!
Mar 31, 2008
Made this with meatballs instead of stew meat. It turned out yummy!