Apple Cider Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6-1/4 hours
- 4 cups frozen vegetables for stew (about 24 ounces), thawed
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 2 envelopes brown gravy mix
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 2 teaspoons steak seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1-1/4 cups apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- Place the vegetables, water chestnuts, mushrooms and onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the gravy mix, soup mix, steak seasoning and cinnamon; add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Add to slow cooker.
- Combine the broth, cider and tomato sauce; pour over beef. Add bay leaf. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until meat is tender.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with McCormick’s Montreal Steak Seasoning. Look for it in the spice aisle.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 197 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 748mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fruit.
Mar 2, 2015
This is so good! If I could give it 10 stars, I would. I'll definitely be making this again. In an effort to avoid it being too salty I used lower sodium gravy mixes and soup mix, and fresh veggies instead of frozen bagged veggies ( 1c. sliced carrots, 1c. sliced celery, 2c. cubed potato, 1/4 - 1/2 lb. sliced cremini mushrooms).
Oct 19, 2014
This is very good! I had a pork roast on hand, so I cubed this instead of beef. It's the first time that I've ever used frozen stew veggies, but it won't be the last! They turned out pretty darn good, and so much easier than chopping! I don't usually care for cinnamon in meat dishes, but not in this case. It was yummy!!!
Oct 3, 2014
Meat was tender and amazing flavor, veggies were soggy and broth was way salty. Only 1 out of 5 people in my house would even eat it.
Oct 2, 2014
This is a very tasty dish. The cinnamon is a different flavor for stew, but both my husband and I like it. With the precut vegetables it was easy to put together. Definitely deserves to be made again!
Jun 19, 2014
This was a great stew! The whole family, include our boys (ages 6 and 9) loved it. Great flavours...something wonderfully different from plain ol' stew.
Mar 2, 2014
Really didn't like it. The cinnamon really threw us off and not what I think of as a beef stew.
Oct 13, 2013
Tasty and a fun way to celebrate the first cider of the season.
Oct 24, 2012
Made this recipe for a church supper and had rave reviews. Even folks who don't care for stew thought it was delicious! Love how the cinnamon comes through
Jan 28, 2012
Haven't made this yet but can't wait to do so. I agree with sg24fan, the McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning is fabulous; it makes for wonderful hamburgers!
Jan 15, 2012
Everone liked it. The sweetness gave it a wonderful surprise from regular stew.