Artichoke Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 7-1/2 hours
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 1/2 pound small fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 cup red wine or beef broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 2 jars (6-1/2 ounces each) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil in batches.
- Transfer to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker with a slotted spoon. Gradually add consomme to the pan, stirring to loosen browned bits. Stir in the onions, mushrooms, wine, garlic and dill. Pour over beef.
- Cover and cook for low for 7-8 hours or until tender. Stir in the artichokes; cook 30 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 355 calories, 19g fat (5g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 682mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein.
Nov 25, 2014
This recipe was a hit with my family although I used veggie protein crumbles in place of the beef and chicken broth and water in place of the beef consomme and red wine or beef broth.
Dec 16, 2011
I will absolutely make it again. Different and delicious, and won rave reviews from my family. Thank you for sharing this fine recipe.
Nov 14, 2011
I found this recipe on Taste of Home years ago. I have been makeing it ever since. My family and I loved it. Thanks for sharing it.
Nov 8, 2011
Good flavor, loved the artichokes.
Oct 29, 2011
Never thought about artichokes in a stew. It was wonderful. Easy and fast to put together the night before. Then refrig. and take it out in the morning for a switch on and go.
Oct 18, 2011
Love it! Easy and great flavors!
Oct 3, 2011
Delicious! I used a whole chuck roast which I didn't flour and brown. Just placed it with the liquids and seasonings in a foil covered pan and baked for 5 hours in a 275 degree oven. Took out some of the juices and thickened with corn starch.
Apr 14, 2011
Easy and tasted great..
Jan 22, 2011
I have made this recipe several times for the whole family; we all love it! Very tasty.
Jan 9, 2011
Outstanding. I would serve this to company. Because it is so easy it affords more time with family and guests. Taste is superb. I added additional non-marinated artichokes. Even in our 70s we like to try new things, and this is a definite keeper. Thank you for sharing it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.